SEMINAR FOR EMPLOYERS: Securing Maine's Future: The Role of Corrections in Developing a Ready Workforce (Workshop)
September 12, 2018
The Maine Department of Labor, in collaboration with the Maine Department of Corrections invites employers to this special seminar about Helping Inmates Reenter Employment in Maine (HIRE ME).
The HIRE ME seminar will introduce employers to the role Corrections can play in helping them develop their future workforce.
Location: Maine State Prison, 807 Cushing Rd, Warren, ME 04864
- Wednesday, September 12
- Seminar: 9:15 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Arrival Time: 8:30 a.m. (to allow for security check in)
- Lunch will be provided
Please note: This event is only for employers, not job seekers. Job seekers with a criminal history are encouraged to visit their closest Maine CareerCenter for job search assistance. CareerCenters work directly with employers that are interested in this audience.
Who should attend?
- Employers looking for creative ways to ensure a steady stream of motivated employees.
- Employers who recognize the ability to align need with innovative opportunity.
- HR Professionals, Hiring Mangers, Business Leaders, Recruiters, Training and Staff Development Professionals, and Business Strategists
During this half-day seminar employers will:
- Hear the experiences of companies that work with justice involved individuals
- Learn about setting up training programs for individuals currently incarcerated
- Learn about tax credits and incentives for hiring this population
- Hear from offenders currently studying for career in Maine industry.
8:00 to 9:00 am - Tour (optional, requires pre-registration), Warden Randy Liberty
9:15 to 9:30 a.m. - Welcome and Opening Remarks - Richard Freund, Deputy Commissioner, Maine Department of Labor - Ryan Thornell, Deputy Commissioner, Maine Department of Corrections
9:30 to 9:40 a.m. - Economic Situation
- Glenn Mills, Principal Economist Maine Department of Labor
9:45 to 10:30 a.m. - Panel 1: Employers Experience: Working with Offenders - Facilitator: Laura Hudson, Director of Communications, Maine Department of Labor
10:30 to 10:40 a.m. - Break
10:40 a.m. to 11:20 a.m. - Panel 2: Building a Workforce: What it Takes
- Facilitator: Dan Belyea, Executive Director of Workforce Training, Maine Community College System
11:25 to 11:50 a.m. - Nuts and Bolts of Hiring Individuals with Conviction History (during lunch)
11:55 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. - Panel 3: Perspective: Offenders Speak About their Experience
- Facilitator: Scott Landry, Warden, Maine Correctional Center, Department of Corrections
12:45 to 1:00 p.m. - Closing: What Comes Next? - Ryan Thornell, Deputy Commissioner, Maine Department of Corrections
1:00 to 1:30 p.m. - Reception and Networking (optional)
1:00 p.m. - Tour (optional, requires pre-registration), Warden Randy Liberty