Skip to main content

Resources for:
Home > Targeted Services & Programs > Unemployment Resources

Unemployment Resources

Many factors are considered in determining your benefit, and each individual's circumstance is unique. In general, Maine unemployment benefits may last up to 26 weeks.

CareerCenter staff cannot answer questions regarding your specific situation, such as how much benefit you will receive and how long you will receive it. You will need to contact the Unemployment Claims Center toll-free at: 1-800-593-7660 or TTY users call Maine Relay 711. Phone lines are busiest on Mondays. Calling later in the week will get you to a customer representative more quickly than on Mondays.

Computer and Internet Access

The best way to file for benefits or to check the status of your claim is to use one of the Unemployment Insurance program's online services. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at

These services can be accessed from your home computer. If you do not have computer or internet access at home, each CareerCenter is equipped with computers that can be used to access these services. Some CareerCenters also offer wireless internet access for use with your wireless-capable laptop.

Computer Classes

If you need to learn the basics about using a computer or navigating the internet, CareerCenters offer classes such as Computer Boot Camp. Contact your local CareerCenter for more information.

Extended Hours for Filing Unemployment Claims

Some CareerCenters have scheduled extended operating hours for filing unemployment claims. Contact your local CareerCenter for more information.

Filing an Appeal

For information on filing an appeal on your unemployment eligibility decision, visit the Division of Administrative Hearings web page. You may file an appeal online. If you feel that it is necessary to obtain legal advice or representation and cannot afford regular legal fees, there are agencies that may be able to help you.

Filing Unemployment Claims by Mail

You may obtain the necessary forms at your local CareerCenter. Instructions for completing and mailing these applications are included with the forms.

  • Initial Application Form (B9.2)
  • Income Tax Withholding Form (W4-V)
  • Dependents Form (B-70)

Be Prepared with the Necessary Information

  • Your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number
  • The business name, address and telephone number of each place you worked at during the past 18 months
  • The jobs you held and the dates you worked (for each employer)
  • The reason you are not working now

Veterans who separated from the armed forces in the past 18 months will need to provide information from your DD-214. Federal civilian employees will need to provide information from your SF-8 or SF-50.

Once you have filed your claim, you will receive the Benefits Rights Booklet and weekly claim forms in the mail.